Balcony Seal System (AKA Balcony Wrap)
We call them them balcony wraps. Imagine the benefits of wrapping one membrane with minimum seams (if none). We have done hundreds of installations. Our systems outlive building (50year life expectancy) – download our Ebook on balconies to find out more.
Balcony Wateproofing done the right way
Balconies are one of the most common sources of water leaks and when not properly waterproofed can lead to a multitude of problems – the biggest problem being that most balcony waterproofing products can’t withstand movement and cracks in the substrate, water damage from balconies can cause extensive water damage to interiors especially a balcony located above other rooms in a property, resulting in damp, peeling or bubbling paint and other structural problems that can be costly to fix.
Balcony Seal Systems (Balcony Waterproofing) or Balcony Wraps as we like to call them are installed using Firestone RubberGard EPDM, one of the most versatile products on the market. The EPDM membranes are wide and long resulting in little, if no seams to minimise risk and with our Balcony Waterproofing System 50 year life expectancy your balcony is likely to outlive your building.
Balcony Waterproofing, if not correctly executed, can result in recurring problems and significant damage to your property. With hundreds of installations under our belt factoring in location, accessibility and environment, and using the appropriate, high quality materials and techniques, our Balcony Waterproofing System will guarantee your balcony will not leak again.
Other benefits of using RubberGard EPDM for your Balcony Waterproofing System are:
- Tiling, screeding and painting with acrylic paint is not a problem.
- No maintenance required – ever!
- Zero degree slopes are no problem i.e. EPDM can withstand pooling water
- The membrane is designed to withstand high UV
- No fire or heat is used in adhering membrane to roofs or balcony
- RubberGardTM is fire retardant and eco-friendly!
- Light weight on roof – only 1.5kg/m2
- RubberGardTM can withstand moving buildings and building cracks – elongation of more than 300%
Product warranty up to 15 years – no maintenance
Warning signs that your balcony or the walls and ceilings below and around your balcony may be leaking include:
- Paint bubbling or flaking
- Damp, musty odours
- Excessive mould growth
- Rust stains or spots
Where leaks or water damage has already started to occur, either due to lack of waterproofing or as a result of waterproofing failure on your balcony Waterproof Lab’s Firestone Rubberguard EPDM Balcony Waterproofing System is the answer to your waterproofing woes.
Frequently Asked Questions
- It is most eco-friendly, having been used for years as a pool liner which sustains fish life & plant growth. Firestone RubberGard EPDM is an inert roofing material with limited environmental impact during manufacturing, installation and use:
- The initial production of the membrane has a low embodied energy number.
- The effectiveness of the EPDM polymer results in low quantities of polymer being required to obtain proper mechanical and physical properties.
- During the membrane’s service life, no toxic substances are released from the membrane, allowing collection and use of run-off rainwater for household applications.
- EPDM is a very highly durable material: Firestone RubberGard EPDM has outstanding weathering characteristics and a life expectancy up to 50 years.
- In regions like South Africa where Heat Degree Days outnumber the CoolDegree Days, a black EPDM membrane on top of a properly insulated roof can help to save energy and reduce associated carbon emissions.
- At the end of its service life, the membrane can be recycled and re-used
For more information on eco-friendly properties of the Firestone EPDM Roofing and Lining Systems, download the EPDM Sustainability Brochure
These ecological benefits, in combination with the membrane’s life expectancy of up to 50 years, make RubberGard EPDM an environmentally friendly roofing solution.
Due to the ever increasing concern for the environment, green roofs are becoming a regular part of our landscape. The RubberGard EPDM membrane has successfully passed the FLL test for root penetration resistance in green roofs. It is an ideal membrane for combination with extensive green roof systems using lightweight and low maintenance sedum vegetation.
The ecological benefits of a green roof system are numerous:
- Reduction of the urban heat island effect
- Reduction of energy costs
- Stormwater management
- New habitats for plants and animals
- Improved air quality
- Reduction of noise pollution
Combine this with a Solar System solution, will be the ultimate in saving energy costs and reduction of carbon emissions – click here to find your eco-friendly solution or Green Roofing System
- A resounding yes. See how we did this here in an installation we did in the leafy suburbs of Noordhoek in Cape Town – see Waterproof Lab Facebook Page for video showing how we do it
It has many benefits, which are listed in our ‘Benefits & Gains’ brochure.
For best results, you will require a measuring tape, a chalk line, a pair of scissors, a paint brush & a rubber roller;
It is always best to allow the substrate to dry before applying the membrane, as it is important to ensure that the bond between the membrane & the surface is not compromised.
EPDM is a blend of materials – Ethylene, Propylene, Diene Monomer, which imparts it’s outstanding flexibility, strength & waterproofing characteristics, making it the most ideal, long lasting, material to use for any waterproofing problems, most particularly, flat concrete or other, roofs;
EPDM is tough, flexible & resilient to foot traffic. Unlike most other waterproofing membranes, one of Waterproof Lab’s EPDM roofing systems main benefit is that it is also very easily & quickly repaired in the event of accidental damage ; simply cut a patch, apply a primer and Formflash patchto the damaged area, allow to dry & stick the patch down – & wallah! you once again have an uncompromised waterproof roof/deck! See video for explanation
- We currently import rolls of EPDM, measuring 6m wide x 30m long x 1.14mm thick, thus effectively giving access to a square area of 180m2. We can get bigger sizes too but imagine covering 180m2 with now seams!
NB: Detailed instructions as to the application procedures of our EPDM, appear in our website, as do videos of the full application procedure. Click here to access the information